On Saturday I celebrated my 50th birthday and yes it was a milestone for me. To be honest I wanted originally to hide under my duvet for the day and ignore it, but my husband arranged a brilliant week leading up to it keeping me busy doing things from my bucket list and on the day I had a quiet day – Julie Robinson from Cake Expressions (www.cakeexpressions.co.uk) made me a lovely birthday cake and we had a birthday meal of Chinese takeaway and a bottle of champagne (I am going out for a celebratory meal in Rustington next month).
But when I sat down to journal my week on Saturday evening I realised something. At every major birthday I have gone through a change.
- Teens – I was a quiet, shy person (believe it or not!) who wouldn’t say boo to a goose and if anyone spoke to me I would be really embarrassed and bright red in the face.
- 20’s – Through this time I was an army wife and mother finding my feet!
- 30’s – I had just moved to West Sussex and was finding and making friends with other mums – still quiet!
- 40’s – This was my first major change I noticed and that was I suddenly felt ‘wise’ I was no different than the day before, but suddenly I gained confidence and felt allowed to do things, to become more independent. It was almost like I was given permission. At this point I had qualified in my training and had set up my business and I was gaining confidence. I also accepted and was happy with who I was – ~Welsh, loud and proud!
- 50’s – The change has already started – I am more adventurous, I have been kayaking! and more fun is planned – my inner child has been released!
You have been warned!!!!!!
How have your birthday milestones been for you or am I the only one?