What Can I Do When My Therapy Business Is Quiet?
Are you at the moment finding things a bit quiet? Finding that your diary might be a bit empty? You might be finding now, in the summer weather, that people aren’t ringing through, or they are not making the appointments. Maybe you find that you go through ups and downs in your business throughout the year. Maybe you’ve been in business a while, and you know within these 12 months when you can have your ups and downs, your busy times and your quiet times.
What do you do in those quiet times? You’re looking at your diary, it’s looking rather empty, or it could be a case of, you get up in the morning, you’ve got a couple of appointments, and all of a sudden they cancel. Or, it’s even that you’ve got a client booked in and they don’t show! What do you do in those times that the diary is looking empty, or you’ve now got some free time? What is it you do within that time for your business? Do you think, “Right, I’ll go and sit, I’ve got an hour, two hours, I’ve got the rest of the day free.” What are you going to do? Are you going to do the housework, go and do the shopping? No, don’t do that.
What you’re going to do is try and keep in the mindset, try and keep in the business mindset, that even if a client doesn’t turn up, hopefully, you’ve got cancellation policy in place you’re ringing them up or you’re texting them, to find out where they are and you’re going to send them an invoice for the no-show. Have you put a cancellation policy in place?
So, you’ve gone through that, you’re finding then you’ve got a couple of hours, or you’ve got an hour, or you’ve got some time free. What do you do with it? If you work from home, don’t go and get a cup of tea, and sit in front of the TV. Yes, I do believe in self-care, but in times like this when you are scheduled in your diary to work, then still work. So, if you know that one of your friends is free and you want to do a bit of socialising, that’s fine, I totally go for that, because sometimes it’s getting away from the work, getting away from the business can spark something in your mind. You might even be chatting to somebody else, can spark things off for you, give you that light bulb moment of things that you might want to do or try within your business – when you’ve got that time for your business, when you’ve got that cancellation, when you’ve got that no-show, when your diary is looking that bit empty, this is the time to sit and review and work on your business.
- Look at your website. This is a time to have a look and to review, so look at the content, look at the wording, look at the images, look at your blogs, look at the links, check that they’re working. Look to see whether it needs a refresh, look to see if it’s still you. Don’t forget, you might set your website up when you first start off in business, you might be a couple of years down the line now, you’ve changed, you’ve grown yourself, you’ve got self-development, you might now know your ideal clients, and your website might not be showing the image of you now. It might now be what you’re putting out there, what you’re seeing. Also, look at images. You’ve probably all got images of your treatment rooms, you’ve got images of clients, you’ve got images of therapies, hope you’ve got images of yourself on there, but how old are those images? Has your hair changed? Has your face got a bit older? Have a look at what images you’ve got on there, they might need updating a bit. So have a look at those, as I said, have a look at the content, have a look at what the links are, see if they’re all working, see what your tabs are, see the wording, whether the wording is correct and it’s not anything against what the ASA have slotted in their rules and regulations. So it’s time to have a look and have a refresh, and see what’s going on. If you can, and you know how to work it, check Google Analytics and see what pages are working, what pages people aren’t looking at, how long they’re staying. You might be wanting to have a look to see how you can get people to stay on there longer, you might want to put a video on there. So have a look at all these things that you need to do within a website because it might just be a time to have a look through and see what you’re doing.
- Social Media. Social media is changing a bit, there are some good things and there are some bad things about it, but I think it’s always good to give it a review. Again, check your page out. Is there much happening? Are you getting much interaction on there? Are you posting much on it? Are you regularly getting new likes? Are you getting people interacting with you? Are they leaving? Are they sharing it? Are they leaving comments? You want to have a look at all of that and review that, but then also, have a look and create new images. You want to look at the posts, find what posts were popular, find where posts that nobody made any comments on. Maybe you need to create more posts on there. Have a look and see if you can share posts from your page into different groups. I don’t mean selling, I mean sharing your blogs, sharing your information where you’re helping. Not your offers, not your promotions, stuff where you’re sharing helpful advice. Things like that again where you’re building relationships on. It’s making that contact. Maybe you want to change the Facebook cover, maybe that needs an update, again just to give a fresh. Maybe you need something as a pinned post on your page as well. Have a look, maybe you might want to try a few ads, just again to get it out there, whether it’s just visibility, whether it’s actually selling something, or whether it’s just to make us want to get likes, try Facebook ads. This might be the time to try Facebook Live video. You might want to try and create a video, yourself, of your treatment room. a video you can do, showing people round your room, or the clinic where you’re at. So again, it’s just creating interaction, it’s creating visibility and it’s again, just putting your business out there and sharing and helping. So these are the things that you can do within just purely on social media, within your quiet time just to get things done and put in place while you’re quiet.
- Have a look and review your marketing pillars. This is a time to brain dump. Write down all the marketing that you’re doing. You can put down there, just everything that you’re doing. Even if you look at it and you go, “All I’m doing is social media.” So you write down what social media you’re doing and what you’re doing within the social media. It might be that you’ve got leaflets, you’ve got postcards, you’ve got business cards, you’ve got a website, you’re in groups. You want to see what’s working, what’s not working. You might want to have a look through and see what offers you’ve done that you’ve got bookings from. You might find offers that you’ve done that you created that nobody’s booked up for. So you want to find out what’s working and what’s not working. It might be again, a time to have a look through your marketing and see what you’ve got planned in and schedule. You might want to look in advance and say, “Right, I’ve got no bookings coming up for July, I need to get something in place.” Plan your blogs, plan your social media, plan your offer. What are you going to do, in that time that you can create some interest ready for July to get the bookings in for your July? Or it could be August, you know when you’re looking for, it might be immediate, it might be later on, a few weeks in advance that you want to have a look at. Plan it. Have a look at texts, emails, maybe you want to reconnect with some clients. Maybe you want to offer some availability dates to your favourite clients, your ideal clients. Maybe there’s a client you haven’t seen for a long while, offer them something, send them a text and offer them something. Make it feel like it is just for them and offer them something. Also, check your visibility. Are you being visible enough? Or are you sat there in your therapy room expecting people to come to you? Have a check and see what your visibility is like. Good one to do is to Google your name and see what comes up and where. Whether your blogs are coming up, whether your business is coming up. Google your name or your business name and see what’s happening with that, because that’s how people find businesses these days, is they’re on their phone and their Google search on the phone. We all like recommendations and referrals, but also, a lot of people are looking and searching on Google, so type your business in and see what comes up.
- Developing your skills. This is an ideal time, as I said, even if you’ve only got an hour. There may be a webinar you want to watch, there might be some Facebook Live videos you want to catch up on. There might be a podcast you want to listen to, there might be some help you want to research on. It might be looking at how you do MailChimp, or how you create a database, or how you create that freebie. You might have bought some online courses that you haven’t looked at yet. You might want to use that time to research with some training that you actually want to go and attend, whether it’s a conference or whether it’s a local Federation of Small Businesses or Chamber of Commerce event. You might want to search and see what networking is going on. Use that time to develop your own skills to help your business.
- Strategy. This is an ideal time to get everything out of your head and onto paper. I don’t mean lists, don’t write it all down as a list, get some felt pens, sharpies, gel pens, whatever and just write, all over A4 sheets, or get wallpaper backing paper, and just write on there in all sorts of different colours, anything that comes out of your head. Just brain dump, whether its thoughts, whether it’s ideas, whether it’s things you’d like to try, things you want to create, things you want to learn, things you want to do. Just write everything down. Once you’ve put everything down on paper, out of your head that’s the time then to either find a mentor, someone you know, someone you trust, someone you work with, someone you’ve been following, get together with them, whether it’s online or you can actually do face-to-face. Even if it’s a friend, business colleague that you know, that you’ve met through networking and you’ve got a good relationship get together with them and build a strategy. Put all these ideas in place and build a strategy of what you want to do, because sometimes, and we often know, working alone is lonely.
- Database. It doesn’t matter how many times I mention this to people and I ask therapists this, have they got a database? They look at me totally blank. All the email addresses that you collect, whether it’s from your clients when you’re doing a consultation, whether it’s at events and fairs where you’ve got a stand and people are coming to your table, you should be collecting their email addresses there, or whether it’s talking to people and leads, and people are asking you maybe over the phone or their emailing you, get their email addresses to create a database, because then you will have sat on a lot of information there, that you can send an email out as a newsletter, as a hints and tips. Anything with helpful advice that you can help them with their problem, help them with their issue, you can be their support, because it’s not for them to remember you, you’ve got to remind them that you exist.
So that’s the tips, that’s my six things that I think are great for when you’re quiet in your business, to work on your business, to create the interest, to create the refresh and the buzz back in your business. It’s not a time to go off and catch up with the housework or to go and do the shopping. Keep the time for your work, it’s scheduled in your diary as work, it’s a working time, so use that time. Again, it might be you might want to go off for a walk down the beach or in nature or wherever, that’s fine because again, that when the head can be working. You might be want to be listening to a podcast when you’re taking the dog for a walk, anything like that, that you can do, it gets the brain thinking, gets the head going.
Does this create ideas for you? What do you think you can do? Pop in and share your ideas.
Still looking for help with your therapy practice. You can get access to a library of free information at the website Ali’s Therapy Academy Your one stop shop for all things Therapy Business.
Maybe you are looking for a course to help you improve your business skills. Check out Ali’s Therapy Academy Classroom where there are many online courses available for you to download and work on in your own time.